Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Sugar Shack 70: The Magic and Mystery of Project B-4032

 

In a great ongoing series of notable MxO NPCs (viewable at https://bloggathehutt.wordpress.com/2022/08/04/matrix-exile-of-the-week-valfreyja/), FrozenFire recently covered the Valkyries, downtown denizens known for lavishly exhibitionist costumes along with interesting but slight backstory.  Just their name evoked memories of hard-won fights, evocative backstory, and (most crucial) memorable loot, including some of the most garish, self-indulgent, brassy clothes in the game (and that’s saying something).  Naturally I loved them and could not relax until I had claimed them all.   Yet where the guns, glasses, and gowns soared, the story stalled, and the Valkyries’ background hinted at much (related to Agent Pace!  their own constructs!) but delivered little.  Even so, its independence from the main narrative of the game meant it could be played repeatedly, like farming for the Area K coat in ZeroOne.  Alas, we were never able to visit their constructs, which would likely have featured frosty fjords, Scandinavian milieus, delicious, delirious jewelry, sleighs instead of cars, and big, burly elves (my favorite kind).  

Inspired by FrozenFire, I read through old files and discovered an outstanding write-up from Ewan Stanford in 2008 (updated a few months later and available today at the French site https://mxo.jeuxonline.info/article/6151/quete-valkyries; thanks to Rarebit for this).  It just seems to cover everything, and I present it below, with extremely light editing.  For me there was deep pleasure in remembering this arc of mishes from years past.  Today, in 2022, there is scant mention of this article on Google, or of Ewan; time has disregarded them both.  So, with full credit to Ewan, here's his article; my reflections follow.


Perched on the pavement with avian friends…who’s got the plumage now?

Quest for the Valkyries

By Ewan Stanford

19/9/2008 at 17:27 (updated on 25/1/2009 at 19:36)


Meet the Valkyries



This quest takes place in Pillsen. It begins as you meet Svanhild (-325; 19; 140) not far from the Pillsen North hardline. She is worried and asks for your help because there are ruthless Valkyries in the neighborhood. She suggests that you investigate them, and give her the mysterious codes they possess and which give them their strength. Svanhild could, thanks to these codes, craft weapons as well as equipment against the Valkyries.


To start the quest, you will need to give Svanhild 1.5 million Info for a piece of paper containing the address of a person who saw Valkyries. Indeed, you will find a bluepill at the address indicated, but will not be able to get there until you are at level 40.

First witness:
Hey ... Oh ... the space of a minute, I thought you were ... I'm sorry, I ... I can not believe I'm going to say to a foreign ca parfais, but damn, all this is incredible…I have a friend called NOM_ALEATOIRE. [Sugaree: means “random name”] She told me that she saw… shadows… passing overhead as she walked alone around the corner. I thought she was siphoned off, but… Well, as I got home, I saw them… two… shadows… right over my head. I saw nothing when I looked over me, but these shadows… they don't look like birds…
Look, if you think you know what it is, then… maybe you can help. Here is his address.

Go and seek the second witness. But beware, on the way, you may also witness these shadows. These are in fact Valkyries (your level +1) all dressed in white that will attack you.


You will find on their corpses those famous codes requested by Svanhild, an Andvaranaut Fragment. The mission will end once having collected the account of the second witness. If you want to farm only these shards, cancel the mission at this point to start over and find new Valkyries on your way.



 

Second witness:
Oh, thank you my God! There was this… woman… She… she tried to force me to follow her. She was talking about weird stuff, spells, revenge… What's that got to do with me?
She… There was this piece of paper that she threw in my face that she called 'summons', like I was accused of something.
There you go, take it. I don't want to think about it anymore. And I ... I think you can help me by calling an ambulance.

So you leave this woman's apartment with the summons in your pocket.




The summons contains an address you will go to. There you will find a level 55 Valkyrie (Valfreyja).

Valfreyja:
You're not the one… but it doesn't matter. Fragile and greedy like the others, the curse has brought you to me.
Do not be afraid. In death, you will serve a cause far nobler than the one you had alive.

With that, the Valkyrie will jump on you. Once you prevail, you will recover a jewel from her corpse.



Operator:
Hmm. Svanhild might be interested in this stuff. Upload it for me to the hardline, I'll see what we can do with it. I'll send it back to you in your inventory, so make sure you have a free spot, okay?

Um, okay, let's upload all this to the hardline…

Operator:
I'm not sure what it is yet, but I have returned the necklace to you in your inventory. Maybe Svanhild will tell us more.

It's not that we doubt its operator, but by taking a look at its inventory, we will see a magnificent Brisingamen. As suggested by the operator, let's go see Svanhild to see what we can do with it.




Svanhild's Gifts

By repeating these missions several times, you should accumulate enough items to collect some bundles from Svanhild. These are clothes (white suit and glasses), firearms, a consumable and a golden outfit for women.

Clothes:

Against

women will have

men will have

20 Andvaranaut Fragments







20 Andvaranaut Fragments





30 Andvaranaut Fragments

1 Brisingamen







10 Brisingamen





Other lots:

Against

You will have

3 Andvaranaut Fragments



20 Andvaranaut Fragments



30 Andvaranaut Fragments



200,000,000 info

1 Brisingamen



100,000,000 info

1 Brisingamen




History of the Valkyries

As you progress, Svanhild will give you Valkyrie Story Shards. For each set to be exchanged (see the previous paragraph), a text will be communicated to you BEFORE and AFTER the exchange. Here is what there is to learn.


Set

Message before the exchange

Message after the exchange

1

 Please… All of these people need your help, just like me. The Valkyries are on the hunt… They are merciless! Codes give them powers ... but with your help, I could turn those codes against them. Please…

Please hurry up! I know them… too well. The experiment failed… Now death is their only god.

2

Yes, pieces of the energy they use can sometimes be found on them. I can bring them together. They'll help you… for a little while.

They think their own source of energy comes from beyond the barrier. I don't know, but it is true that they drain energy from the dead, and the dead would follow in their footsteps.

3

 Their pistols are powerful, but only irregularly. The unpredictability… it was supposed to make them more human, more compassionate…

They will help you, but remember… death only brings death.

4

Their pistols are powerful, but only irregularly. The unpredictability… it was supposed to make them more human, more compassionate…

Emotions… have a dark side. A Perfect Machine is capable of killing without counting, and deriving no pleasure from it - it is not in their best interests. But the Valkyries ...

5

 Their white clothes are supposed to represent their intentions of peace, resolution of purity. But in other traditions, white is the color of death ...

Now they kill, and kill… To hunt down the dead in their pods, and siphon energy, more power, more deaths… Will it only end in complete destruction?

6

Their white clothes are supposed to represent their intentions of peace, resolution of purity. But in other traditions, white is the color of death ...

In the end, the Machines opted for black; they felt more comfortable that way. Only the Architect still dresses in white. But it's madness to talk about this stuff.

7

 These transparent glasses were not developed before the expulsion of the Valkyries, but they may be derived from the Valkyrie code.

Yes, the glasses were eventually used by Agent Pace, the ultimate outcome of the project. I just hope that her ability to have feelings - to love - won't change her, as it does for them, and as it will for me ...

8

 These transparent glasses were not developed before the expulsion of the Valkyries, but they may be derived from the Valkyrie code.

Please don't forget us. The Valkyries are interested in death, in the destruction of the Machine's energy source, human after human. It's a long job, even for them, but they are patient, relentless, and… they love it.

9

The Valkyries attack from the tops of buildings… Their glasses protect them from the sun, allowing them to see their… victims along the streets.

Thank you. As they are of high quality, I would not wear these glasses myself… I already have too many ties with Valfreyja and the others. But, like Agent Pace, I am the new generation… Even though I have gone into exile, I can still hope to correct the mistakes of the past.

10

The Valkyries attack from the tops of buildings… Their glasses protect them from the sun, allowing them to see their… victims along the streets.

You know, I'm able to take it out on men, like ... although I have very little experience with males yet. Most of my existence has been spent in hiding, with the Valkyries, associating as little as possible with the few programs we have encountered. They never asked me if I had something you could call a 'father' ...

11

 They believed themselves betrayed. They are discreet… They no longer believe anyone. Once, when I was very young, they came to me… but it was in peacetime, they were hiding in little constructs, developing their powers. When they felt ready, they were overcome by an inordinate thirst for blood. They wanted revenge, all this time ...

Have the Machines been successful? They failed with the Valkyries, but Agent Pace, they say, was able to gain sympathy from the humans. But she's not what she was at the beginning ... with you seen, she changed after the Merovingian attacked her with a destructive code derived from the Oracle. She's less open now… I hope she doesn't end up like the Valkyries. It's strange… My mother once told me that, at the end of the project, the Machines had to ask the Oracle for help.

12

 They believed themselves betrayed. They are discreet… They no longer believe anyone. Once, when I was very young, they came to me… but it was in peacetime, they were hiding in little constructs, developing their powers. When they felt ready, they were overcome by an inordinate thirst for blood. They wanted revenge, all this time ...

 They told me the Machines called it 'Project B-4032'; they were the 'V' series, the fifth… I'm not sure how many series came after them; I think there must be a lot of them, because they are so faulty! The only result that survived these experiments is Agent Pace; They hate her, just for that. They see her as a dishonor - using good looks to force humans to accept Machine domination. I hope they are wrong… I hope the Machines will learn to fear others, to feel joy and love… They could see all of this through humans, but they weren't able to appropriate it. You don't know how much they envy you.

13

 The dress...? Yes, with the right codes I could make another one… but I'm afraid it will be very expensive.

Pay attention; this is not made for combat.

14

You flatter me. It is possible ... but it takes a lot of information to create this stuff. Yes, the Valkyries have been generous to me… for once.

If only others understand, which is very important in this world.

This completes Ewan's invaluable record.  

The bits of background above reward attention.  The connection with Pace is unexpected; her warm “tesoro”s and poise seem at such odds with the fitful, furious Valkyries.    This was not without reason.  Back when this was being designed, the machines made Pace Italian so she would seem warmer and more welcoming (as if Agent Gray’s gushing encouragement were not enough!!).  As for the Valkyries themselves, the very intriguing explanation was that when they felt betrayed by their makers, they remade themselves as vengeful warriors rather than as Monica Bellucci wannabees in peroxide.  Perhaps an overcompensation. It could be that originally they all spoke, like Agent Pace, in soft romantic syllables, until they decided that they would get better results with vinegar than honey.   The results speak for themselves. Ironically, it was bluepills they attacked, not their natural enemies, like Agents.  Possibly they had unknown rationales; this is hinted at when Valfreyja tells you “Do not be afraid. In death, you will serve a cause far nobler than the one you had alive.”  In any case, the Scandinavian mythos which inspired them was a self-chosen identity, not an imposed one.    I always enjoy reading these fragments of a world lost; in them I feel the dark currents of suggested, suggestive emotional tides ebbing and flowing in the perpetual tension between wrath and desire in the deluded, desperate, doomed yearnings of Project B-4032.

Today, the fiercely frosty Valkyries prowl our skies no more and have withdrawn to their secluded, nameless constructs beyond even Hypatia’s books, forever evading the attention of the Machines. They are the true Exiles.  Perhaps in the future they would have been suborned by the Merovingian, just as General and his commandoes were.  Today, however, Svanhild is their sole empty-handed heir who shows her wares, but accepts no trades.  Yet with a little legerdemain you can assign yourself anything from her locker.  Here’s an example:  type &gib 47937 and you will receive the women’s Rose-Colored Glasses.  Or, type &gib 47946, and you’ll receive a bright and shiny Svanhild’s Plumage.  Check out my image above to see just how awesome this looks!  You, too, can shine! 



Here at the end, as my clan-mates and I fought in a hysterical free-for-all just before the great meatwad, my Svanhild’s Spurs gave me strength to withstand the unthinkable.  Wearing them, I felt like the calm amidst the storm.